Thursday, October 22, 2009

Seeing A Film Multiple Times in Theaters




The topic of seeing a film multiple times in theaters is one that interests me greatly. There are many instances (Inglourious Basterds, Public Enemies, Watchmen) where I feel that a film requires multiple viewings in order to form a solid critical opinion. In other cases, like The Dark Knight, I knew it was a masterpiece the first time I saw it, yet I still felt the need to go back and watch it again and again. 


I am curious, what is the film you have seen the most in theaters? For me, it is The Dark Knight. I saw the film a total of seven times before it came out on DVD and six of those occurrences were in the beautiful IMAX format. For me, and for a lot of people, the film never got old, and it was special every single time I saw it. I knew it was a film that was truly a once in a lifetime experience and I wanted to be part of that experience as many times as possible. 


I'm sure everyone else out there has a special film that they have seen multiple times. Please share your thoughts.

9 comments:

Rae Kasey said...

I see Pixar movies at least three times, typically (though Cars only warranted one trip to the theater).

There's usually a film every year that I love so much that I can't possibly wait for the DVD release to see it again and again and again. The most recent example is Slumdog Millionaire.

Danny King said...

@ Rae: Pixar films are definitely a great example, I saw Up twice this year. I also saw Slumdog Millionaire twice last year. Slumdog lost a little bit of its magic for me the second time around, but I still have no problem with the fact that it won Best Picture.

Candice Frederick said...

Dark Knight I feel like I can watch every day. SUCH a good movie. Would also mention Knocked Up and Sex and The City.

Anonymous said...

I saw The Dark Knight and Transformers (Yes, I enjoyed it, but the sequel sucked, hard) multiple times in theatres.

Danny King said...

@ Candice: Glad to hear you like The Dark Knight as much as I do. However, I am not on the Knocked Up bandwagon. Most people enjoyed it, but I wasn't one of them.

@ Anon: I wasn't even a fan of the original, but I saw it on DVD and I could see how it might be a little bit better in the theater, but sound can't make up for everything.

Anonymous said...

For me it was clockwork orange, but that was many many years ago (sigh). Most recently ,however, it was the wrestler

Danny King said...

@ Anon: I saw The Wrestler twice last year in theaters. I would've gone more, but my schedule was crowded. It was much easier in summer with TDK.

I actually saw A Clockwork Orange a couple of weeks ago and it was terrific. It's not an easy film to digest in one sitting, so I could definitely see myself watching it multiple times back in the '70s.

MovieNut14 said...

The most I've seen a movie in theaters is two times. Since I have a pretty good memory, it's usually a while before I see that movie again.

I also don't see a movie multiple times in theaters because of the cost. It's like nine bucks a ticket where I am. I tend to wait until DVD for a movie most of the time.

Danny King said...

@ MovieNut14: I certainly agree with you about the pricing. Particularly for IMAX, it isn't cheap, but for a film like The Dark Knight, I wanted to catch it in its intended format as many times as I could. But for films that don't take advantage of the big screen as much, I usually don't see more than once in theaters.

Related Posts with Thumbnails