Saturday, November 14, 2009

Box Office Update: 'Precious'




 Last night I went to go see Precious for the second straight weekend. I know some of you might think I'm crazy given the depressing nature of the film, but I just had to see it again. When I got home, I noticed that Steve Mason had his Friday box-office estimates up.


2012 made a whopping $25 million, but the film I really want to discuss is Precious. Last weekend it made an astounding $1.8 million in only 18 theaters. That comes out to about $104 thousand per theater. This weekend, it added 156 more theaters and made an estimated $1.75 million yesterday. There's no way the film will be able to repeat the record-breaking $100 thousand per theater, the estimated $30 thousand this weekend is more than respectable. 


I encourage everyone to try your best to see this film as soon as possible. Not only will the film be worth it, but the more money this film makes, the more likely it is to clean up at the Oscars -- and it really deserves to. 


You can read my review of the film here and I have posted Mason's numbers below.


1. NEW - 2012 (Sony) - $25M Fri, $60M 3-day - $60M cume
2. A Christmas Carol (Disney) - $5.5M Fri - $20.4M 3-day - $61.3M cume
3. The Men Who Stare At Goats (Overture) - $2M Fri - $6.2M 3-day - $23.3M cume
4. The Fourth Kind (Universal) - $1.9M Fri - $5.6M 3-day - $21.4M cume
5. Precious: Based on the novel "Push" by Sapphire (Lionsgate) - $1.75M Fri - $5.3M 3-day - $8.1M cume


------------------------------------


Paranormal Activity (Paramount) - $1.5M Fri - $4.3M 3-day - $104.1M cume
NEW - Pirate Radio (Focus) - $1M Fri - $2.9M 3-day - $2.9M cume

2 comments:

RC of strangecultureblog said...

So, does that mean you're going to go see it a 3rd time?

Danny King said...

@ RC: Well I knew I wanted to see it at least one more time and yesterday was a good day for me to see it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but it's not one of my top priorities anymore.

Related Posts with Thumbnails