Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Ten Most Anticipated Films of 2010

Note: Some of the films on my list were released, seen, and even reviewed in 2009, but they will not be released near me until the new year. This is a personal list, so the release dates referenced are the ones when I am personally able to see the film.  

The end of one calendar year always brings about the anticipation of the next. With that in mind, I have compiled a list of my most anticipated films of 2010. I am working hard on both of my "best of" lists for 2009 and the 2000's as a whole, but I still have many films I want to see before I can feel confident submitting both of those lists. However, an anticipation list is based on personal preferences and gut-feelings more than anything else, so I feel perfectly confident sharing my top ten with you. 









 10. TOY STORY 3 (June 18th)


The third installment of this legendary series is helmed by Lee Unkrich, whose previous co-director credits include Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo. I usually never get overly-excited for animated films, and this one is no exception, but the plain fact that this is a Pixar film is enough to yield a placement on this list. Interestingly enough, the Toy Story 3 script is written by Michael Arndt, the guy who penned Little Miss Sunshine. I wasn't crazy about that film, but it's a curious writing selection for the third entry of this animated series, no?
-------------------------------------------------------------------





9. ROBIN HOOD (May 14th)


Ridley Scott's take on the legendary hero is sure to be an interesting one. With Russell Crowe portraying the main character, and supporting members such as Cate Blanchett, William Hurt, Max von Sydow, and Mark Strong, the acting is sure to be fantastic. This film is likely to have many parallels to Scott's violent Oscar-winner Gladiator, in which Crowe also starred. Thrown in a script from Brian Helgeland (Mystic River), and I'm struggling to find an area in which Robin Hood could go wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------





8. THE WOLFMAN (February 12th)


Joe Johnston's horror/thriller looks like a fascinating, fresh "werewolf" movie with a lead performance by Benicio Del Toro that could put him in next year's Oscar discussion. Del Toro's promising co-stars include the lovely Emily Blunt, Hugo Weaving, and the always creepy Anthony Hopkins. If The Wolfman does in fact live up to its expectations, it will be pleasing to see a movie of its elk talked about throughout the year and possibly in the awards race.
-------------------------------------------------------------------





7. BLACK SWAN (TBA)


I would pay to see any film with Darren Aronofsky's name on it, and the only reason Black Swan is this low on my list is the lack of a release date. Given the fact that they started filming in the middle of November, I am a little worried as to when this film will get released. Nevertheless, Aronofsky's involvement, as well as the cast of Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, and Winona Ryder, have me very excited to see this film. This thriller about a veteran ballet dancer is a departure (to put it lightly) from Aronofsky's 2008 film The Wrestler, but he's a director who has proven to have remarkable versatility.
--------------------------------------------------------------------






6. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (October 15th)


David Fincher's film about the founders of Facebook has had me intrigued ever since his involvement was announced. The fact that the cast features a large amount of unknowns even has me more interested. Jesse Eisenberg is one of the cast's biggest names (aside from Justin Timberlake), and he is one of Hollywood's most promising actors in my opinion. He brings life to every character he plays, and to see him working with a big-time director like Fincher puts a smile on my face. The script comes courtesy of the well-respected Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men, The American President, Charlie Wilson's War).
-------------------------------------------------------------------





5. THE WHITE RIBBON (January 15th)


Fortunately, I won't have to wait too long to see this Palme d'Or winner from Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke. I wasn't crazy about his 2005 thriller Caché, but from the little that I've read about The White Ribbon, it seems that this film is much different. Regardless of what I didn't like about Caché, Haneke is obviously a skilled filmmaker, and anything he puts on screen will be thought-provoking at the very least. Based on the recommendation of Brad Brevet, I'm trying to go into this film knowing as little as possible, so for right now, I'll just say that I'm dying to see it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------


 

4. IRON MAN 2 (May 7th)


I will admit that I wasn't completely blown away by the first Iron Man, but this one has peaked my interest, mostly due to the involvement of Mickey Rourke. Robert Downey Jr. was great in the first one and we all know he will be just as good in Iron Man 2 as well, but I've been dying to see Rourke give another great performance after his turn in The Wrestler, and this looks like it could be it. It's also tough to complain with the cast additions of Sam Rockwell, Don Cheadle, and Scarlett Johansson. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------





3. SHUTTER ISLAND (February 19th)


Martin Scorsese's exercise in the thriller/horror genre in something I have been looking forward to for quite some time. I was incredibly disappointed when Paramount pushed back the release date of Shutter Island because I figured that meant it wasn't any good, but there have been some rave early reviews that suggest otherwise. The remarkable cast includes Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer, Michelle Williams, Max von Sydow, Patricia Clarkson, and Jackie Earle Haley. I have read the Dennis Lehane novel that this film is based upon, but that really did nothing to add or take away from my anticipation. I am just plain jazzed to see a master director going in a completely new direction.
-------------------------------------------------------------------





2. A PROPHET (February 26th)


This French film from Jacques Audiard has received immense critical acclaim from almost everyone that has seen it. It won the Grand Prix at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival, and the lead performance of Tahar Rahim has been buzzed about for months. You don't need to look any further than the opening quotation of the film's trailer, courtesy of "The London Times," which states, "As epic as The Godfather." That's powerful stuff, and A Prophet promises to be a powerful film.
-------------------------------------------------------------------





1. INCEPTION (July 16th)


I don't think I've ever been this excited for a film I know so little about. I have seen both of the film's trailers, but there is hardly any plot revelation. All I know about Inception is that it is helmed by one of the most visionary writer/directors working today, and it has one of the best casts of the past twenty years. The great lineup includes Leonardo DiCaprio (who seems to be in for a great year), Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Michael Caine, Marion Cotillard, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe, and Tom Berenger. Writer/director Christopher Nolan, the mastermind behind The Dark Knight and several other great films, has finally received a big-time budget for one of his original scripts. Outside of the Batman films he has made, he has worked with some modest budgets, but not here. With a reported budget in the $200 million range and a cast to die for, Nolan has all of the tools to bring his original script to life, and I doubt he will disappoint.

NJZVQWN7H4S2

13 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

shutter island and inception ae my 2 top anticipated films of 2010

Ed Norton said...

Where's my leaves of grass. Some people haven't released it yet and it never opened in 2009

Matthew Lucas said...

A PROPHET as epic as THE GODFATHER? Really?

Ehhh...no.

filmgeek said...

Shutter Island and Inception are my top 2 too. The Social Network (I love Fincher's films) and Toy Story 3 rank pretty high too

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

Nice list. I have to do some heavy thinking to decide what would be mine [because I'm neurotic like that] but your list looks about good. especially 7, 1, 9, and 3. Probably in that order :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Danny King said...

@ Candice @ filmgeek: Those seem to be the top two at this point by general consensus.

@ Andrew: Ha, well I look forward to your list, and those are some good picks so far. Happy New Year to you as well!

Anonymous said...

I Can't wait for the orphan 2! For some reason I anticipate for this movie to be the most influential movies of all time.

Tom Clift said...

I'm pumped for pretty much all of these films (even Sherlock Holmes, the second trailer turned me around). But I do have two words that are missing from this list.

Kick. Ass.

Matthew Vaughns new film, atwisted take on the superhero genre, looks ridiculous. Violent, cheesy, gratuitous, profane. What's not to love?!

Danny King said...

@ Tom Clift: Ha, I love your enthusiasm. That one is definitely on my radar. It seems like a risky project, hopefully they are able to pull it off.

Daniel Getahun said...

Great list as I'm planning my own '10 forecast to post. I'm looking forward to all of these with the exception of The Wolfman and Iron Man 2, for different reasons. I'll still see them, but probably just to be one of the cool kids.

Danny King said...

@ Daniel Getahun: I'll keep an eye out for your post. I think you're doing okay in the "cool" department, but seeing those two certainly won't hurt!

Dreher Bear (...Where The Buffalo Roam) said...

Great list! I'm personally can't wait for Inception, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, Kick-Ass, and many more.

Danny King said...

@ Dreher: Definitely a lot more to add to the list now that we're well into the new year. Thanks for stopping by.

Related Posts with Thumbnails