Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Quick Thoughts on 'Julie & Julia' - 2 stars



I finally found some time to catch up with Nora Ephron's Julie & Julia, and I'm not quite sure it was worth it. I wouldn't say it's a terrible film, but there's hardly enough story for a two hour comedy, and the pacing is a major problem. The film also never seems to take itself very seriously, and as a result, I had trouble caring at all for any of the characters. The performances are fine enough, but the script lacks any depth whatsoever, and the dramatic moments had little to no impact. 

I don't think I will write a full review on this film, but I will say that I would have trouble recommending it, even to cooking fans. Yes, the performances are fine, but Streep's turn is hardly worthy of an Oscar, and the script is so thin that you could step away from this film for five or ten minutes and not miss a single thing. It's kind of a shame that any performance with Streep's name on it nowadays is automatically considered for an Oscar. To even put this performance in the same conversation as Gabourey Sidibe's turn in Precious is pretty mind-boggling.  




6 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

i totally agree. it was too long and no substance. though streep is spot on with her Child impression. that's all there is here

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

Spot on. SPOT ON!!!!!!! Although I enjoyed the film. Well not enjoyed, it was pleasingly passable. But the performers were just toeing the line. If this wins an Oscar...[insert ominous score]...don't know what I'll do.

joe burns said...

Will see this soon.

Jose said...

I agree that Meryl shouldn't be so overpraised for this. She was fantastic as usual, but the past decade has seen much better work from her that has gone completely unrewarded (The Hours for example where she gave the best performance). It's kinda sad that they've reduced her work as to what will win her that third Oscar. She should just go ahead, win it for this and continue reminding us why she's such a genius without all that ridiculous pressure.

Nigel Maruva Chikukwa said...

I think Meryl is receiving this "over-praise" because of her accurate translation of Julia Child onto the screen.

I took the time to actually research about Julia Child prior to watching the film. I saw a couple of videos on youtube etc...

After comparing those to the film, I saw little to no difference, which means Streep did her homework right.


I too, don't want her to win though. I was just trying to suggest a reason for this streep-madness. My personal favourite for this year's gold happens to be Bullock.....

Danny King said...

@ Nigel: I definitely agree with you that the impersonation is spot on, and although I do think that is something worthy of some recognition, I don't think there's enough to the performance to merit an Oscar, especially when compared to some of the other females performances from 2009.

Related Posts with Thumbnails