Thursday, January 7, 2010

2010 DGA Nominees Announced


The Directors Guild of America has announced their nominees for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for 2009, and they are:


Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds


The obvious surprise is Daniels, with the other four having already cemented themselves as virtual locks for Oscar nominations. Personally, I love the recognition of Daniels and his film, which is one of my favorites of 2009. While this does go a long way towards improving his chances of an Oscar nomination, I'm not going to get my hopes up too high as they were crushed last year when Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight) received a well-deserved DGA nomination and was subsequently snubbed by the Academy.


The DGA will announce the winner on January 30th. 

5 comments:

Teddy B said...

I'm rooting for Tarantino here.

Univarn said...

You missed a massive twitter debate on this (I think we had about 6 accounts and a few hundred tweets in all) mostly pertaining to whether or not Lee Daniels deserved this nomination. We almost all felt Precious works in spite of Daniels and his it's greatest hold back from perfection.

Danny King said...

@ Teddy B: I'm right there with you.

@ Univarn: Thanks for filling me in. I know I've read a lot of reviews (including the ones by the people most likely involved in the discussion) that have said Daniels' style was too frenetic or distracting.

In my opinion, I thought he was the perfect choice for the film and he came through big time. Perhaps it's because I read the book that I can appreciate Daniels' vision more, but I thought he did a remarkable job.

If you list some of the more specific things you didn't like about the work he did, perhaps I'll be able to respond and support my position more effectively.

Andrew: Encore Entertainment said...

I've become pretty tuned out of the race, so I'm pretty much meh on the list. Tarantino, Reiteman, Daniels would not be there for me, [I know you liked all three] but what can I do?

Danny King said...

@ Andrew: As far as Tarantino and Reitman, I don't think there's anything you can do. Daniels is still on the border in my opinion, so you should still have some hope!

Related Posts with Thumbnails