Apple has released the first trailer for Tony Goldwyn's potential Oscar contender Conviction. With a great story and cast, it seems as though there are very few places in which Conviction might end up going wrong. Hilary Swank will star as working mother Betty Anne Waters who puts herself through law school in order to defend her brother (Sam Rockwell), who has been convicted of murder.


I've never been a fan of voice-overs in trailers; this one is no exception, but there is enough here to legitimize the Oscar potential. Fox Searchlight will release the film on October 15th.


8 comments:

MovieNut14 said...

I tagged you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Info here:

http://movienut14.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-blogger-award.html

Nigel Maruva Chikukwa said...

I am going to put my money on Julliete Lewis....she seems raw enough to grab attention with her few minutes.

Robert said...

This feels really iffy for me! it looks almost too baity...but I'm actually really hoping that Sam Rockwell finally gets some awards love.

Fitz said...

Here's hoping that Bale (The Fighter) and Rockwell (Conviction) get their first Oscar noms for Best Supporting Actor this year.

Danny King said...

@ MovieNut14: Thanks! I'll check it out.

@ Nigel: She is really great, though I'm not sure what role she is playing.

@ Robert: The trailer does feel too heavy. It will be interesting to find out if that what the film is actually like, or if that's just what they think will get people into the theaters.

@ Fitz: I'm right there with you. Bale and Rockwell have both given multiple Oscar-worthy performances to date.

John O'Neil said...

I'm sorry. This trailer just screamed "Oscar bait!" Although I like much of the talent involved, I can't say this tops my most anticipated list.

Danny King said...

@ John O'Neil: I hear you with regards to the "Oscar bait" comment, it sure does have that feel to it. Rockwell is the guy that has me most excited to see it, although it certainly doesn't top my most anticipated list either.

RC said...

Sam Rockwell would be a nice addition as a first time Oscar nominee - and this certainly seems like the role Oscar likes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails