Cinema Blend's Katey Rich has shared a few updates regarding David Fincher's upcoming remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that I feel are worth noting and discussing. The first one - more of a relief than a surprise - is that Fincher will be allowed to remain faithful to the violent nature of the novel. In other words, we're probably looking at a hard R-rating. In an interview with The Wrap, Sony's Amy Pascal shared the following:
We’re doing the book. That’s why we hired David Fincher. We’re going to really do this, in all their glory. Otherwise why do it? They’re very R-rated movies. It’s the shock of what’s really going on underneath the surface of society. If you don’t actually make good on that, you haven’t told the story

With Seven, Fight Club, and Zodiac under his belt, I never had any doubts about Fincher's faithfulness, although I had a sneaking suspicion that the studio may have wanted to exploit the project's commercial potential to the fullest extent by suggesting a PG-13 rating. But it looks as if my worries - and I'm sure most people's - have been put to rest. Who knows, perhaps this will be a case where the disturbing content brings audiences to the multiplex rather than pushing them away.


The second piece of news offered states that Carey Mulligan's involvement as the hero, Lisbeth Salander, is indeed a rumor. Pascal, clearly desiring an ambitious audition process, added that, "Every actress in the world wants it. It's the greatest character for a girl since I-don't-know-what." For those of you who have seen either of the first two Swedish films, it's obvious that Pascal's statement is no hyperbole. Lisbeth Salander is a mesmerizing protagonist.


The third portion of the report, and possibly the most troubling, says that Fincher plans to direct all three American installments of the trilogy. Even though I couldn't get enough of the first Swedish film, I found The Girl Who Played with Fire to be less enthralling, and part of me wonders how much legs this source material has. I think it's only fair to wait until I've seen all three of the Swedish films, but I don't exactly want to see Fincher spend several years of his career directing a trilogy that, in the end, may feel redundant. I'd rather see him explore different genres, like he is doing with The Social Network.


But I may be exaggerating things. After all, casting is probably the most difficult part of Fincher's pre-production process. It's going to take time. And once it's all settled, it is likely that Fincher will be able to motor through the second and third installments more quickly. But I'm not sure waiting two years for each of these films is the way I want to see Fincher's near-future shaping out.


By the way, Fincher's remake will likely hit theaters in December 2011. 


Do you still have doubts about this remake? Have Pascal's new insights changed your mind at all?

2 comments:

simoncolumb said...

I don't know... it all seems a bit funny. After Benjamin Button, I lost bit of faith in fincher and, as the swedish version was good, this seems strange ... but alas, money is money and if someone is going to direct the US version, I guess fincher doing what he does best is whats necessary. I reckon they have chosen the cast ... just haven't released deatils yet ...

Danny King said...

@ simoncolumb: "Benjamin Button" was not at all a prototypical Fincher effort, but I think it did show that he has some genre versatility. (Which is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to "The Social Network.")

Related Posts with Thumbnails